Valentine’s Day Hazards For Pet Parents To Be Aware Of

With Valentine’s Day approaching quickly, many people are planning something special with their partners. Be sure to keep your pet’s safety in mind. This can be a dangerous holiday for Fluffy and Fido! Here, a Lafayette, LA vet discusses some Valentine’s Day hazards for pets.

Chocolate

When you think of Valentine’s Day, chocolate is often one of the first things to come to mind. However, keep your stash away from your furry friend. Chocolate contains both caffeine and a substance called theobromine, both of which are dangerous to dogs and cats. Large doses of chocolate can even be fatal for pets!

Candies

Hard candies are also hazardous. Many of them contain xylitol, a common ingredient in processed foods, which is toxic to dogs and cats. Hard candies are also a choking hazard for Fluffy and Fido. The wrappers are dangerous as well, as playful pets can choke on them or ingest them.

Candles/Fire

Candles and pets are definitely not a safe mix! If you burn candles or use a fireplace, take precautions to ensure that your pet cannot reach the flames or get too close. This is one area where it’s definitely better to be safe than sorry. Our animal companions start over 1000 fires a year!

Alcohol

Wine is often a part of those romantic candlelit dinners. Don’t let your pet imbibe, however: even small amounts of booze can make your furry friend very sick!

Stuffed Animals

Many of our canine pals love playing with stuffed animals. However, the stuffing can cause serious intestinal blockages if eaten. Smaller pieces, like those plastic button eyes and noses, are also unsafe.

Cards

Cards may not seem like much of a threat, but some of them can be harmful. Musical cards, for example, often contain tiny batteries that are definitely not safe for pets to eat. (Note: Fido’s a bit more at risk here, as most cats will ignore cards. However, there may very well be some card-eating kitties out there. With cats, you just never know.)

Flowers

If you get a bouquet, keep it well out of paws’ reach. Many popular flowers, such as lilies, are toxic to pets. Roses are dangerous as well, though in this case it’s because of the thorns, rather than toxicity.

Please reach out to us, your Lafayette, LA vet clinic, anytime. We’re here to help!

Comments are closed.

Website Designed & Developed by DVMelite | All Rights Reserved | Login

Facebook